A goal of The RVA Senior Resource Group is to provide educational information to the public to enable thoughtful planning on topics of interest to most seniors. We can customize a presentation to meet your group’s needs if you don’t see the information you’re looking for. Contact us for more information or to set up a presentation at your church, neighborhood association, or other event.
· Aging Well Overview: An overview of a wide range of topics to create awareness of options and encourage planning ahead for aging is covered. The topics include warning signs of when to think about getting help, caring for loved ones from afar, how to have this discussion with your parents or kids, what information you need to get organized, when to give up the car keys, in home care support options, housing options, the financial implications of long term care, and legal documents you should have prepared. Other seminars take a more detailed look at several of these topics.
· Understanding The Different Housing And Care Options For Seniors: Learn about the various types of care available to seniors including assisted living and other types of residential communities, in- home care, Adult Day centers and end of life/hospice care. Downsizing and moving services are also discussed
· How to Begin The Conversations With Your Parents: This presentation provides practical information on how to approach and conduct difficult conversations with your parents. The goal is to build your comfort level in having those important conversations while providing tools for doing so.
· Options To Cover The Cost Of Care: This presentation reviews the ways individuals can pay for care including Medicaid, Veteran’s Aid and Attendance Benefit, LTC insurance, Reverse mortgage, selling real estate, investments, Life Insurance.
· The Legal Issues In Aging: This presentation presents those documents suggested for planning including POA, Will, Advanced Medical Directives and 5 wishes. Discussion also includes helpful information on Elder Abuse, Senior Fraud/Financial Abuse, Guardianship, and Identity Theft.
· Planning and Preparing for Socially Security and Medicare Benefits: What you know or don’t know about these two major governmental programs will greatly influence your life in retirement. Discussions will include timing, program options, and strategies for maximizing your benefits. We can present the two programs together or separately depending on how deeply your audience wants to dive into the subject matter.
· Downsizing? Right Sizing to a New Home? : Considering the sale of your current home? How will the sales price be determined? What are your options if you wish to purchase another home that is low maintenance and provides one floor living? These questions will be answered by a senior real estate specialist and senior move specialist. Also explore the factors you should consider as you prepare your home for sale. Learn what today homebuyer will expect of you and the responsibilities of sellers. Hear how to time your sale so you can move directly from your current home to your new home. And how do you move to a new home where all your current household furnishings won’t be needed?